New crews, cooler weather help in California wildfire battle
The Associated Press
Aspen, CO Colorado
LOS ANGELES ” Fresh firefighting crews were brought in Monday to help battle the huge wildfire charging through the coastal mountains of Santa Barbara County, one of more than 300 active blazes across California.
Some evacuees started returning home to the area 100 miles (160 kilometers) northwest of Los Angeles.
With a heat wave forecast this week, firefighters on the blaze in the Los Padres National Forest tried to take advantage of Monday morning marine fog and a last day of moderate weather, said Stanton Florea, spokesman for the U.S. Forest Service.
Officials brought in five “hot shot” crews from Arizona and New Mexico, a total of 100 firefighters who were being dropped by helicopter in the Santa Ynez Mountains or sent hiking in to thin brush and slow the fire’s progress, Florea said.
Other crews were setting backfires to burn brush so there is no fuel for flames to feed on.
The fire had blackened about 15 square miles (39 square kilometers) of the national forest above the city of Goleta, in southern Santa Barbara County, since starting July 1. It was 35 percent contained Monday morning, Florea said.
Many residents started to return Monday after most mandatory evacuation orders were lifted. Some warnings and mandatory orders remained in effect in scattered mountain communities.
Officials did not have the number of homes currently affected. At the height of threats to Goleta-area communities, residents of nearly 2,700 homes were told to leave or warned to be ready to flee.
A weekend break in summer heat had allowed firefighters to largely extinguish flames on the southern end of the blaze, where most of the threatened residential areas were. However, the cooler weather is forecast to give way to temperatures around 90 degrees Fahrenheit (around 32 Celsius) and low humidity this week.
Investigators believe the fire was human-caused.
Wildfires have blackened more than 800 square miles (2,070 square kilometers) and destroyed at least 69 homes throughout California, mainly in the northern part of the state, in the past two weeks. One firefighter died of a heart attack.
Sunday’s cooler weather also helped firefighters advance on the two-week-old blaze that has destroyed 22 homes in Big Sur, on the coast at the northern end of the Los Padres forest.
That fire has charred 117 square miles (303 square kilometers) in the Big Sur area and was just 11 percent contained Monday. Officials said crews were burning out brush between the fire’s leading edge and Big Sur’s famed restaurants and hotels and cutting more lines to block flames creeping down from ridge tops.
California’s siege of fires began with an extraordinary lightning storm in late June. According to state figures, about 1,450 fires have since been contained, but more than 330 were still out of control Monday morning.
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger issued a health warning, urging people affected by smoke to stay inside and limit their physical activity. Last week, he ordered 400 National Guard troops trained in help combat the flames.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Contact with two presumed positive COVID-19 cases has led to 65 students and staff at Basalt Elementary School transitioning to remote instruction.