Man who died at Aspen hotel on New Year’s Eve had fentanyl in system | AspenTimes.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Man who died at Aspen hotel on New Year’s Eve had fentanyl in system

Staff report

The California man who died at an Aspen hotel on New Year’s Eve died of “combined drug intoxication” which included fentanyl, the Pitkin County Coroner’s Office said Friday.

Jonathan Irons, 26, was found by Aspen police officers in a room at the Hotel Jerome just before 9 p.m. on Dec. 31 with no pulse and not breathing.

The coroner’s report said in addition to fentanyl, cocaine and methamphetamine were contributing drugs in Irons’ death, which was ruled accidental.

Another man in the room was “awake but in an altered state of consciousness, also in distress,” the Aspen police said at the time.

After a “witness in the room” told officers the unresponsive man may have suffered a drug overdose, officers administered an anti-overdose medication called Narcan. Officers found drug paraphernalia in the room, including hypodermic needles and spoons.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User