LSD, drugs led to man’s death in Snowmass Base Village parking garage
The 24-year-old man who fell from the upper level of a Snowmass parking garage in March was using LSD, marijuana and amphetamines before his death, the autopsy report found.
Angelo Mowery of Denver was hallucinating and “acting erratically” before he sprinted off the Base Village parking garage on the evening of March 10, according to Snowmass police Officer Franz Zedlacher’s report. The police also gathered surveillance video of that night.
Originally from New Jersey, Mowery had relocated to Denver upon earning an electrical apprenticeship diploma from a trade and technical service school in his home state, according to the obituary from Codey and Mackey Funeral Home in Boonton, New Jersey. His services took place March 21 in New Jersey.
Mowery was “a strong advocate for clean energy” and hoped to pursue a long-term career in the solar-power industry, according to his obituary.
Multiple blunt-force injuries to the head and neck from the fall are what killed Mowery, the autopsy prepared for the Pitkin County Coroner’s Office found.
The autopsy also states, “Mowery was known to use illicit drugs in the past, and previously participated in drug rehabilitation programs.”
Authorities initially suspected that alcohol, in addition to drugs, impaired Mowery; however, the final autopsy report did not reveal alcohol in his system.
Snowmass Police Chief Brian Olson said Monday that Mowery’s friend reported to police that Mowery possessed an alcoholic beverage “when they were up (Snowmass Mountain) from the top of the gondola.”
Knowing that Mowery “had issues right away” once the two exited the gondola, Olson said, it’s unclear if or how much of the drink Mowery consumed. It was not enough to be noted in the autopsy.
As for the hallucinogenic, Olson said he presumes Mowery brought the LSD with him from Denver.
“We didn’t have any information that (the LSD) was localized,” Olson said. “Or that (Mowery) was localized.”
The police chief said that while his department handles LSD-related instances on occasion, the drug is less prevalent than others in Snowmass.
“We just don’t see (LSD) on a regular basis, although it does come up from time to time,” he said. “I think mushrooms are probably the more popular hallucinogenic.”
Mowery is survived by his 3-year-old son; his mother, Lia; his brother, Andrew Coughlan; his step-father, Jeffrey Coughlan; and other relatives.
“It’s an unfortunate tragedy and it’s a sad, sad incident. I think it was hard on my staff and hard on the Fire Department to deal with something like that,” Olson said. “And we feel for the family. It’s a difficult situation.”
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Stage 1 fire restrictions in Pitkin County start Wednesday, which means no campfires in undeveloped sites, no fireworks and no smoking outside unless it’s in an area cleared of all combustible materials.