Locals need more housing opportunities
Why more “employee” housing units? I think we need local housing for those retiring and others otherwise unable or unwilling to buy into the current employee-housing or free markets. We need a level of housing between the two – a product that offers units where local owners can do some or all of the following:
• Work fewer than the 1,500 hours a year required for employees
• Rent their unit for up to a specified number of months per year
• Buy a unit with as many bedrooms as they want and can afford
• Rent rooms
• Upgrade their units at their own risk, and the market (not the government) will decide if their upgrades were worth it
• Leave to their resident qualifying heirs
• Sell to a locally qualifying buyer for as much as they can get. Yes they, like current affordable housing, risk prices going down. There is no “no-risk” solution to buying real estate
We already have 2,000-plus employee units in a community of 5,000 to 10,000 people. I encourage the city and county decision-makers to add units to the local real estate market that will expand the deed-restricted program and provide greater opportunity for those in it and a broader spectrum of those on the outside looking in. The goals should be to see Aspen be a better and more fulfilling and sustainable multigenerational community and to find opportunities that will give our kids and other aspiring lifelong Aspenites a chance to live, prosper and retire in Aspen.
A prosperous local population strengthens the local economy and community. Housing for the rich? What’s wrong with helping to create richer locals?
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Development in Basalt barely skipped a beat in 2020 despite the coronavirus. It’s expected to be busier next year.