Something smells at Basalt Town Hall (and it’s not the politics)
November 6, 2017
Something smells at Basalt Town Hall.
No, there's no pun about politics here. Something stinks, literally.
This is the second week of a mystery skunk smell, which first caught the attention of town workers Oct. 27. It's not overpowering but it's definitely present. No workers have left their post over the smell.
"It seems to be dissipating," Town Manager Ryan Mahoney said Monday, though he acknowledged the smell hasn't been as pungent on his side of the building, on the west. "It's focused in the front-door area."
The public works department investigated and found that the building doesn't have a crawl space. They don't believe a skunk crawled into a hole and died. They also looked to see if an animal somehow made it into the eaves but didn't see anything.
Well-trained noses have ruled out that someone left a stinky bag of weed lying around.
Recommended Stories For You
So what's next? Town staff has decided to call a pest control company to sniff out the source of the mystery and restore the fresh mountain air.
Trending In: Local
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche