Richard Sherman Dirkes
July 6, 2018
Richard Sherman Dirkes, 94, formerly of Port Washington, NY, Aspen, Co and Edwards, CO, died peacefully on Sunday, June 10th at a Denver retirement facility surrounded by his family. He was a loving husband, father, grandfather and great grandfather. Dick was dearly loved by his family.
Dick was born on March 27, 1924 to Frederick A. Dirkes and Mae Regina Sherman. He grew up in Floral Park, NY. He attended Chaminade HS and The Taft School. He joined the 10th Mountain division in 1943 and trained with the 10th at Camp Hale, CO. He transferred to air flight school in Albion, MI and was transferred, once again, to the US Army 65th Infantry division as a squad leader of the intelligence and reconnaissance platoon, and served in France, Germany and Austria. He was awarded a Bronze Star, POW medal and a European Occupation medal. Dick was mustered from service in 1946.
Upon returning to civilian life he earned a business degree from Hofstra University. He married Laverne Williams in 1949. They raised their two sons in Port Washington, NY. Dick founded his firm, RS Dirkes, Inc. and was a manufacturer's representative for a number of domestic specialty steel producers. He retired in 1985.
His was a lifelong member of the Manhasset Bay Yacht Club. He was a member and served on the board of Sands Point Golf Club. He also served as a trustee for the Village of Sands Point. In later years he was a member of the Roaring Fork Club and the Sonnenalp Golf Club.
His love of the outdoors and mountain activities was kindled by his experiences in the 10th. He spent many winters in Aspen, eventually retiring to Aspen and later to Edwards, Co. He could be found on the mountain from the first snowfall to the last days of spring. He is perhaps best known and loved for his friendly, enthusiastic, outgoing nature and his passion for the sport and camaraderie of skiing.
Richard is survived by his third wife, Joy Griswald Dirkes, sons, Peter R. Dirkes (Diane) of Mill Neck, NY, James T. Dirkes of Bethesda, MD, six grandchildren, Christopher (Sarah) of Washington, DC, Peter T. Dirkes (Kathryn) of Charleston, SC, Christin Linchitz (Michael) of Garden City, NY, D. Fred Dirkes (Taline) of Basalt, CO, James A. Dirkes of Basalt Co, and Caitlin Simmonds (Marshall) of Charleston, SC and London, England. Dick is also survived by 4 great grandchildren. He also has a step daughter, Julie Wolfe of Edwards, CO. His second marriage ended in divorce.
Recommended Stories For You
A memorial gathering of celebration will be held later in the year. Richard will be buried with his first wife, Laverne, in Quogue, NY.
Donations in his name may be made to the 10th Mountain Division Huts, a not-for-profit organization that manages a system of 34 backcountry huts in the Colorado Rocky Mountains.
Trending In: Local
- Suit: Man’s X Games party trashed Aspen condo
- ‘Vasectomy zoning’ argument fails to sour Basalt council on project
- Issue committee formed to fight redevelopment of base of Aspen Mountain
- New River Valley Ranch golf owners envision hotel, resort for Carbondale
- Midvalley performance center The Temporary forced to pursue long-term vision sooner
- Father of snowboarder who died at Snowmass: ‘He was just one of those good guys’
- Update: Winter storm watch in effect until Friday, up to 14 inches of snow predicted
- Pitkin County Democratic Party chair says he was assaulted while canvassing
- Carbondale man pleads guilty to attempted sex with a 7-year-old girl
- Jim Gaffigan: ‘Skiing was obviously a rich person’s idea’