Photos: Aspen Misc., readers get their share of bears
October 28, 2017
It has been a busy summer and fall for bear activity in the Aspen area, which has meant plenty of opportunities to capture the furry creatures on camera.
It's also worth noting that taking photos of bears was discouraged in September by the Aspen Police Department, which issued a statement condemning taking selfies with bears or photos of them in trees because "it only creates bigger crowds showing up for bear viewing."
However, many people, both of the tourist and local sort, found the urge irresistible to snap photos of the hungry bears, especially during September when they roamed through downtown Aspen in search of food before hibernating.
Today we offer you a sampling of some of the photos readers took of bears in the Aspen area. Here's hoping the bruins have filled their bellies and will be hibernating sooner than later.
Trending In: Local
- Business Monday: Clock ticks for Aspen retailers on 420 E. Hyman
- Aspen’s east end will see new housing development
- Lawsuit: Deteriorating Snowmass-area house plagued by landslide zone
- Aspen’s affordable housing program faces budget shortfall
- Aspen officials want residential streets cleared of trailers, oversized vehicles
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Contractor spills 1,300 gallons of jet fuel at Aspen airport
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman