Part of St. Regis Aspen for sale through crowd-funding |

Part of St. Regis Aspen for sale through crowd-funding

Owners of the St. Regis Aspen Resort are attempting to sell nearly one-fifth of the luxury hotel through crowd-funding after they backed out of their initial public offering in February.

New York-based asset manager Elevated Returns, which owns the St. Regis, announced Thursday that it has enlisted the crowd-funding website Indiegogo to help sell the hotel shares through digital tokens; the goal is to sell $18 million worth of tokens.

Like it did when it touted the IPO, St. Regis is being marketed as a single-asset real estate investment trust, or REIT. The REIT is called Aspen Digital and will be sold through so-called Aspen Digital Tokens, according to published reports. Each token is being sold for $1 each.

Only accredited investors can buy the tokens from Indiegogo, reported, noting they would account for 18.9 percent of equity in St. Regis, with Elevated Returns owning the remaining 81.1 percent.

“Asset-backed coins like the Aspen Coin not only offer a transformative way to invest in real estate, but also establish a new way to store wealth by utilizing collateralized and income-generating digital assets,” the website BusinessWire quoted Stephane De Baets, founder and president of Elevated Returns, as saying. “We believe that the real estate tokenization model has tremendous potential in that it brings liquidity and disintermediation to the world’s largest asset class.”

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User