Colbert: Making the most of an October birthday in Aspen
September 12, 2018
With less than three weeks until my birthday, I've been thinking about my plans for that day. Unfortunately, it falls on the first Wednesday of October, which is a terrible time for a birthday when you live in a ski town.
Aspen will have slowed to a standstill by then, and for me getting out of town isn't in the cards. I'm not much of a partygoer anyhow, so having no one to battle with for elbow space at the Red Onion bar is fine by me.
What I'd like is to go on a mini-adventure in the great outdoors. But, again, early October can often present challenges. The weather could be doing just about anything, from warm and sunny to a blizzard (I'd personally love the latter). Either way, I feel my options will be limited to a long, chilly hike or … well, that's about all I've come up with. Mother Nature will likely have closed the door on climbing 14ers and it's a high likelihood she taunts me with a few snowflakes, as I'm itching to get back on my snowboard already.
Still, this doesn't mean an early-October Aspen birthday has to be all bad, does it?
Maybe that hike will work out just fine, or maybe the weather will hold out long enough for me to get a round of golf in somewhere. I'm hoping there is some solid mountain biking to be had still, even if I need to go downvalley a bit.
Despite the dreary outlook for my birthday, I wouldn't change it one bit. The fall remains my favorite season, as I love the sports, the colors and Halloween, which is obviously the best "holiday" there is. The month of October may not get much love here in Aspen, but I'm going to do my best to represent in what really is an underrated time of the year in our little ski town.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Friends support local furloughed Forest Service worker whose son was born with cystic fibrosis
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday
- Aspen School District, HR director part ways
- Aspen government prepares to build new office building
- Aspen-area Forest Service workers seek alternative jobs as shutdown enters fifth week
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Skier rescued from Aspen Mountain sidecountry
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7