Business Monday Briefs — May retail sales in Aspen up 13 percent
July 8, 2018
Aspen sales up 13 percent in May
Aspen retailers posted a 13 percent gain in overall sales in May compared to May 2017, according to the city's monthly sales tax consumption report released Friday.
Sales totalled $26.7 million in May, pushing overall sales for the first five months of the year up to $309.7 million, a 5 percent increase over January through May of 2017.
May is the slowest month of the year in terms of retail sales, accounting for roughly 3.4 percent of annual sales tax collections, the city said.
May sales were broken down by the following retail categories:
• Accommodations — $4.3 million, up 46 percent over May 2017
Recommended Stories For You
• Restaurants and bars — $4 million, up 13 percent
• Sports equipment and clothing — $1.1 million, up 31 percent
• Clothing —$1.4 million, up 12 percent
• Food and drug, $2.8 million, up 10 percent
• Liquor, $468,522, up 7 percent
• Miscellaneous, $3.1 million, up 44 percent
• Construction, $4.1 million, up 7 percent
• Luxury goods $627,492, down 8 percent
• Utilities, $3 million, down 5 percent
• Automobile, $1.4 million, down 25 percent
• Marijuana, $466,514, up 5 percent
New GM for travel firm
Destination-management and special events company Resorts Mountains Cities has named Christin Tubbs as general manager of its Aspen and Vail offices.
Tubbs brings more than 10 years of destination management experience to RMC, most recently serving in numerous management-level positions for Ritz-Carlton, including sales, meeting planning and event management at various properties in San Francisco, Charlotte, North Carolina, and Bachelor Gulch in Vail. Tubbs earned a bachelor's degree in hospitality management from Florida State University.
For more information, visit https://rmcdmc.com/.
Property brokers earn recognition
Two real estate agents from the Aspen branch of Coldwell Banker Mason Morse Real Estate have been named among America's top real estate professionals by "Real Trends The Thousand," as featured in The Wall Street Journal.
Carrie Wells ranked No. 76 among the 2018 top 250 by transaction volume. Wells had nearly $132.5 million in total sales volume in 2017. Broker Associate Chris Souki ranked No. 239 with a total sales volume of $77.4 million.
Trending In: Local
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche