Aspen museum comes to life
September 8, 2018
Two wooden sheaves were added to a replica derrick at the Holden-Marolt Mining and Ranching Museum property last month.
The 26-foot-tall derrick was needed to support steel ropes that were part of the system that supplied power to the Holden Lixiviation Works on the banks of Castle Creek. The plant opened in November 1891 and operated for barely a year before the silver market collapsed and the sprawling plant went into a long decline.
The derrick was restored in fall 2015 in a project funded by the city of Aspen Parks and Open Space Department and overseen by Aspen history fan Graeme Means.
The sheaves were made by a North Dakota wagon-wheel maker and added to the derrick in early August.
Trending In: Local
- ‘A culimination’ of missteps led to Aspen city manager’s exit
- Aspen School District, HR director part ways
- Aspen will have new interim city manager as tenured Steve Barwick resigns amid controversy
- Alpine Bank rolls out interest-free loans during government shutdown
- Frisco officer-involved shooting near Whole Foods leads to arrest