Investigators hunting clues in Denver jet accident |

Investigators hunting clues in Denver jet accident

Colleen Slevin
The Associated Press
Aspen, CO Colorado

DENVER ” Investigators took photos and measurements at the charred wreckage of a Continental Airlines jet Monday, searching for clues about why the plane veered off a runway and skidded into a shallow ravine.

The twin-engine Boeing 737-500 still sat in a shallow, snow-covered ravine where it came to rest after its aborted takeoff Saturday at Denver International Airport.

National Transportation Safety Board investigators made preliminary reviews of the cockpit voice recorder and the flight data recorder on Sunday, agency spokesman Peter Knudson said.

No information has been released, but Knudson said “we do have good data” from the recorders.

Investigators planned to interview the captain and the first officer later Monday. Both had clean safety records with the Federal Aviation Administration, FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said. He wouldn’t release their names.

FAA records show the plane, built in 1994, had to make an emergency landing in Denver in 1995 when one of its two engines failed, but the aircraft touched down safely and no injuries were reported. The engine was replaced.

The latest accident forced the 115 passengers and crew aboard Flight 1404 to flee through emergency exits as the plane burned. The jet had shed its left engine and both main landing gears. The entire right side of the jet was burned, and melted plastic from overhead compartments dripped onto the seats.

Of the 38 people injured, at least five remained in Denver hospitals Monday, one in serious condition, one in fair condition and three in good condition. Knudson said one member of the cockpit crew was injured, but it wasn’t immediately clear if it was the captain or first officer, and Knudson didn’t know how seriously.

Bill Davis, an assistant Denver fire chief assigned to the airport, said it was a miracle that no one was killed.

The weather was clear but cold when the plane attempted to take off for Houston about 6:20 p.m. Saturday. Winds at the airport were 31 mph, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

“No other aircraft opted against taking off due to wind” before Flight 1404 tried to lift off, Gregor said.

The plane veered off course about 2,000 feet from the end of the runway and did not appear to have gone airborne, city aviation manager Kim Day said.

Davis said the plane came to a rest about 200 yards from one of the airport’s four fire stations. Passengers walked out of the ravine in 24-degree cold and crowded inside the station, he said.

A crack encircled much of the fuselage near the trailing edge of the wings, Davis said.

“It didn’t really sound like an explosion. It was more like a big thud,” said Maria Trejos, 30, who was sitting on the right side of the plane with her husband, who had their 1-year-old son on his lap.

She told The Associated Press on Monday she thought the plane was about to take off when it veered off the left side of the runway. She felt a bump and saw a fireball through the window, and it felt briefly like they were airborne, but she said that may have been when the plane was dropping into the ravine.

Trejos then smelled fuel and thought, “I hope the plane doesn’t explode.”

At first, the cabin was eerily quiet, with no one screaming, she said, but then it quickly got hot from the fire and people began to panic when they saw smoke and flames.

“I was thinking, ‘I don’t want to burn. I don’t want my baby or my husband to burn,'” said Trejos, who is also four months pregnant.

They scrambled onto a wing and slid to the ground. She said their son has cuts on his legs and she her husband are bruised and sore, but all three are otherwise fine.

They were headed to Houston to visit her husband’s family but instead went home to Pueblo West, about 100 miles south of Denver, happy to be alive.

“It’s going to be the best Christmas ever,” she said.

Many passengers from the flight arrived in Houston, its original destination, on Sunday afternoon, some clearly injured, the Houston Chronicle reported.

The gate where relatives waited at Bush Intercontinental Airport was blocked off from the rest of the terminal. One woman limped off the flight with red-rimmed eyes; another was in a wheelchair, wearing a neck brace, the newspaper reported. A young boy was taken by stretcher straight to an elevator.

Robert Sumwalt, an NTSB member, said the damaged plane would remain for several days in the 40-foot-deep ravine where it landed. That runway will remain closed during the investigation, he said.

Jim Proulx, a Boeing spokesman, said the company was supporting the NTSB investigation.

“We will also do whatever we can to learn the cause of this accident so that we can prevent a recurrence at Continental or at any other airline,” said Larry Kellner, Continental’s chairman and chief executive officer.

The airport was back to normal on Monday, almost fully operational with five of its six runways open, spokesman Jeff Green said.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


See more