UPDATE: I-70 reopening through Glenwood Canyon after threat of heavy rain passes | AspenTimes.com
YOUR AD HERE »

UPDATE: I-70 reopening through Glenwood Canyon after threat of heavy rain passes

UPDATE Tuesday 6 p.m. — CDOT crews were in the process of reopening I-70 in Glenwood Canyon as of a little after 6 p.m. Road conditions and emergency closures will continue to be posted to cotrip.org.

UPDATE Tuesday 5:25 p.m. — The Interstate 70 safety closure continues to be in place in Glenwood Canyon, including rest areas and the recreation path, due to the continued threat of heavy rain.

“A Flash Flood Warning has expired, but current weather conditions still show potential for flash flooding in the canyon,” the Colorado Department of Transportation said in an update sent at 5:21 p.m.



A Flash Flood Watch continues into the evening. Updates will be displayed on cotrip.org while the closure is in place.

––



Interstate 70 is under another safety closure in both directions through Glenwood Canyon Tuesday afternoon, with a flash flood warning in effect.

A flood watch was issued earlier Tuesday and was upgraded to a warning shortly after 3 p.m., with heavy rains predicted above the Grizzly Creek burn scar.

The closure is in place between milemarkers 87 (Rifle) and 133 (Dotsero) eastbound, with hold points at Rifle and milemarker 109 (Canyon Creek). The westbound closure is between milemarkers 133 (Dotsero) and 116 (Glenwood Springs), according to a Colorado Department of Transportation news alert.

Local traffic is being allowed through between Rifle and the Roaring Fork Valley.

“The safety closure is in place to protect motorists from the potential of flash floods, mudslides, rockfall or other hazards that can be triggered by heavy rains at the location of Grizzly Creek burn scar area,” CDOT said in the release.

The closure will remain in place through the duration of the Flash Flood Warning, which is forecast to end at 5 p.m., CDOT said.

“If a debris flow or mudslide occurs, motorists should be aware that I-70 will be closed for a longer period of time to allow maintenance crews to clear the highway.”

In that case, motorists are advised to take the northern alternate route through Steamboat Springs via state Highways 13, 131 and 9 and U.S. 40, or they may wait out the Flash Flood Warning and safety closure.

This is a developing story and will be updated.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.