Heat lamp blamed for fire in Carbondale chicken coop
Aspen, CO Colorado
CARBONDALE – The Carbondale Fire Department said a heat lamp running overnight in a chicken coop started a fire early Tuesday that burned the coop and damaged a nearby straw-bale shed and two homes.
Firefighters were first called out at 3:48 a.m. to a brush fire at 184 N. 11th St. in north Carbondale. The first responding officer arrived within eight minutes and reported a fire burning between a shed and a home. The first fire truck was on scene in 16 minutes.
The fire damaged the chicken coop, the shed and windows of the residence, along with a fence, deck and porch at the adjacent residence, 201 N. 10th St.
No one was injured, but all the chickens in the coop perished in the blaze and the coop was a total loss.
The fire department responded with three firetrucks, an ambulance and 17 firefighters. The fire was reported as being out at 4:21 a.m.
Carbondale Deputy Fire Chief Bill Gavette said, “The first arriving engine, staffed with both volunteer and paid members, did an excellent job of containing the fire and preventing further spread.”
The Carbondale Police Department and the Garfield County Sheriff’s Department assisted.
Top 5 most-read articles: City of Aspen considers three finalists as restaurateurs, CDOT grapples with snowplow driver shortage
We’ve rounded up the top five most-read stories on Aspentimes.com from last week.