Glenwood likely will give extra funds for Sunlight Bridge repairs |

Glenwood likely will give extra funds for Sunlight Bridge repairs

John Gardner
Glenwood Springs correspondent
Aspen, CO Colorado

GLENWOOD SPRINGS – City staff has recommended the Glenwood Springs City Council allocate an additional $222,730 for repairs to the Sunlight Bridge at 27th Street, calling the work “critical.”

The city entered into an agreement with the Army Corps of Engineers in mid-2008 at a cost of $409,000. Of that, federal funding would cover 65 percent and the city would pay the remaining 35 percent, or $143,146, according to the city report. The city has already paid $88,000 to the Corps.

Since then, the Corps has contacted the city three times informing it that the costs were increasing to $927,800, ultimately increasing the city’s contribution to $310,730.

According to a memo from Mike McDill the council, dated June 24, the staff recommendation is to pay the additional money, despite the rise in costs.

“Based on the existing projects within the Street Tax Fund, this additional expenditure for this work can be accommodated,” McDill’s memo said.

In July, the council decided to postpone its discussion until this week because City Manager Jeff Hecksel was absent.

Mayor Bruce Christensen previously said he would like an explanation as to why the cost has gone up so much.

According to Corps project manager Felton Prosper, the increase in costs reflect additional safety precautions needed to adequately perform the work.

“What we did was leaned more toward safety,” Prosper said.

According to Prosper, the Corps presented the city with three alternatives to choose from on how the repairs could be done.

Prosper said the work is designed to fix areas of erosion on the bridge’s concrete support columns, underneath the Roaring Fork River’s flow. The plan is to “rip wrap” the pillars with larger rocks and then backfill the gaps with smaller rocks, which will prevent the pillars from eroding, Prosper said. However, in order to place the rocks properly, rather than just dumping them into the water, the river flows must be diverted from around the pillars and the rocks must be “placed,” which also adds to the cost, he said.

Prosper also said that the Corps initially did not know how deep the pillars went, or the total number of pillars needing repairs.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.