Glenwood council approves $81 million budget for 2010
November 9, 2009
GLENWOOD SPRINGS – The Glenwood Springs City Council voted unanimously last week to approve an $81 million budget for 2010.
According to Glenwood Finance Director Mike Harman, adoption of the budget by law has to take place after the public hearing and before Dec. 15. The council held a public meeting on Oct. 15 regarding the proposed budget.
“Adoption of the budget [is] basically an endorsement to say that the theoretical budget that you have before you is in budget compliance, where we are not spending more than we have,” Harman told the council.
Some changes may still happen regarding the final budget, Harman said. For example, council also adopted the Glenwood Springs Chamber Resort Association’s 2010 marketing plan – for about $600,000 – Thursday.
Harman said that the actual numbers will have to be entered before Dec. 15, as well as before the appropriation ordinance is approved.
“We knew that going in because it wasn’t ready then, so the numbers that were in there were just rough numbers,” he said.
Recommended Stories For You
The next step will be the appropriation ordinance, which will include the actual numbers after the “fine tuning” of the budget is completed, according to Harman. The appropriation ordinance will come before the council at its first meeting in December.
The 2010 proposed budget is $80,915,943, or less than 2 percent under this year’s budget of $82,300,239. Revenue total showed a 9 percent decline year over year from $73.5 million in 2009 to an estimated $66.6 million for 2010.
Operating costs and employee salaries total $12.5 million for 2010, down a little more than $248,000 from 2009. Capital improvement projects total more than $24 million for 2010. That is up from a little more than $10 million in 2009, but $15 million of that increase covers the construction of the new wastewater treatment facility.
City administrators decided to forgo their regular two-year budgeting process in 2008 and 2009. City Manager Jeff Hecksel previously explained that two years of budget are presented in one year, and in a “more normal process” the 2009 and 2010 budget would have been presented to council last fall. The administration held off in presenting the 2010 budget last year, though, due to the changing economic conditions. Hecksel expects to return to the two-year budget process next year for the 2011 and 2012 budgets.