Gas leak leads to early morning evacuation | AspenTimes.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Gas leak leads to early morning evacuation

Aspen Times writer

The campuses of all three Aspen public schools on Maroon Creek Road were evacuated early Tuesday morning when a natural gas pipeline broke suddenly.Aspen Fire Protection District Chief Darryl Grob said the initial call to 911 was made at 6:10 a.m. reporting the strong smell of natural gas. He said a pipe alongside the small building between the high school and elementary school had broken under the weight of a buildup of ice. The small building is where students take environmental studies classes.Kinder Morgan, the natural gas company that supplies the schools, arrived at the scene and repaired the leak. Grob said firefighters used gas sensors to walk through buildings in the area to determine that the gas, which is lighter than air, had dissipated. The buildings were declared clear about 7:30 a.m., and classes at the schools were able to begin at their usual times.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


News


See more