Fumes force evacuation of 500 from Denver hospital
The Associated Press
Aspen, CO Colorado
DENVER ” Chemical fumes temporarily forced the evacuation of about 500 people on Monday from Denver’s National Jewish Health, a nationally known respiratory hospital.
Hospital spokesman William Allstetter said most of the evacuees were staff members. About 45 people were transported to other hospitals for treatment, mostly for nausea and respiratory irritation.
The evacuations included about 90 children attending an elementary school on the hospital campus for students with respiratory ailments.
Three buildings were evacuated, but the main hospital wasn’t affected and doctors were still seeing patients, Allstetter said. Fire officials allowed people back into the buildings about 31/2 hours after the spill, though the school remained closed because the children were sent home.
Chlorine and hydrochloric acid were inadvertently mixed during maintenance work at a swimming pool at the elementary school, and the fumes spread through tunnels running among the buildings, he said.
Ann Romero, an adminstrative coordinator at the hospital, said she was told to evacuate shortly after getting to work but wasn’t worried about her own safety. “I was thinking about the patients, really,” she said.
Terry Garner, an incident commander for the Salvation Army, said everyone seemed “very calm” during the evacuation.
Doctors at National Jewish conduct research and provide mostly outpatient care.
In 2007, the hospital gained national attention when its doctors diagnosed the first non-factory worker case of “popcorn lung” in a man who ate two bags of microwave popcorn a day. The ailment, formally known as bronchiolitis obliterans, had previously been found only in popcorn factory workers.
That same year, National Jewish treated the first American quarantined by the federal government since 1963. The man was first thought to have XDR-TB or extremely drug-resistant strain of tuberculosis. Subsequent testing showed he had the less dangerous multidrug-resistant TB.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Aspen Chamber Resort Association and Snowmass Tourism will play host to a job fair from 3-7 p.m. June 2 at at Viewline Snowmass Conference Center, 100 Elbert Lane, Snowmass Village.