Fryingpan apartment fire started after plumbing work | AspenTimes.com

Fryingpan apartment fire started after plumbing work

Aspen Times staff report
Aspen, CO Colorado

BASALT – The fire that destroyed an 11-unit apartment complex in the Fryingpan Valley on Friday night started after plumbing work was performed in one of units, authorities said Sunday.

“It was accidental from a plumber working on the pipes with a torch,” said Basalt Deputy Fire Chief Jerry Peetz. “Apparently he took reasonable precautions, put a wet blanket on the pipe and wet the walls down, but apparently somehow a spark still got in there, and that was the cause.”

The scene has officially been turned over to the insurance company and owners, Peetz said.

The fire in the complex located 4.5 miles east of Basalt on Fryingpan Road displaced 33 residents and destroyed most of their belongings. A restaurant, bank and the American Red Cross are undertaking ongoing efforts to assist affected families and individuals.

Two Rivers Bar and Cafe is collecting cash, clothing and toys for the victims. The Basalt restaurant is located at 156 Midland Ave. The owners also fed the families and individuals affected by the fire through the weekend.

Vectra Banks throughout the Roaring Fork Valley are accepting financial donations for the fire victims.

Recommended Stories For You

The Red Cross is seeking temporary and permanent housing for the victims as well as offering other assistance. The Red Cross can use donations to replenish its funds for disaster relief. Contact Yanna Blacy of the Red Cross at yblacy@denver-redcross.org to make a donation. She is an Aspen representative of the organization.