Four-time champ Janna Meyen knocked out in slopestyle qualifier
Aspen, CO Colorado
ASPEN ” Janna Meyen, the most dominant women’s slopestyle rider in the last decade, won’t be going for a fifth Winter X Games gold medal Saturday after failing to make the cut in Friday’s elimination round.
Meyen finished an uncharacteristic 11th in the qualifying round, 2.33 points back of the final rider to earn a spot, 10th-place finisher Spencer O’Brien of Whistler, British Columbia.
Meyen won four consecutive slopestyle titles between 2003-’06 before skipping last year’s Winter X Games.
After qualifying second with an 86, defending champion Jamie Anderson of South Lake Tahoe, Calif., will have a chance to win back-to-back titles Saturday.
Cheryl Maas of the Netherlands topped the field of 17, qualifying first with an 87.66.
Chanelle Sladics of Newport Beach, Calif., finished last among the field with a 20.66.
(Top 10 advance to final)
1. Cheryl Maas, Uden, Netherlands 87.66
2. Jamie Anderson, South Lake Tahoe, Calif. 86.00
3. Claudia Fliri, Kramsach, Austria 70.00
4. Jenny Jones, Bristol, Great Britain 65.66
5. Erin Comstock, Salt Lake City, Utah 63.00
6. Alexis Waite, Kirkland, Wash. 62.66
7. Marie-France Roy, Whistler, B.C. 62.33
8. Leanne Pelosi, Calgary, Alberta 60.00
9. Megan Ginter, Carnation, Wash. 53.33
10. Spencer O’Brien, Whistler, B.C. 52.66
11. Janna Meyen, Bend, Ore. 48.33
12. Silvia Mittermueller, Munich, Germany 43.33
13. Tara Dakides, Mammoth Lakes, Calif. 40.00
14. Kimmy Fasani, Truckee, Calif. 39.00
15. Anne-Flore Marxer, Hossegor, France 32.33
16. Kjersti Oestgaard Buass, Trondheim, Norway 23.66
17. Chanelle Sladics, Newport Beach, Calif. 20.66
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.