Fire hits Carbondale house twice |

Fire hits Carbondale house twice

John Colson
Carbondale Deputy Fire Chief Bill Gavette inspects the roof and chimney of a home at 966 Main St. in Carbondale after flames engulfed it early Monday morning. (Mark Fox/The Aspen Times)

A Carbondale house erupted into flames early Monday morning, only three hours after firefighters believed they had extinguished a chimney fire at the same address.

The second call sent occupants of the home into the streets and kept 18 local firefighters busy for more than two hours; no injuries were reported.The incident began Sunday at approximately 9:30 p.m., when firefighters were called to 966 Main St. to battle a chimney fire. Fire officials left the scene at about 1 a.m., when they thought the fire had been extinguished, according to Deputy Chief Carl Smith.

Then, at 4:12 a.m., a call went out for “a chimney fire” at the same address, according to Carbondale & Rural Fire Department spokesman Doug Davis. It was quickly amended to a house “engulfed in flames.”Four fire trucks raced to the scene, which turned out to be “a two-story structure with a full basement, the house containing at least two apartments with numerous bedrooms and occupants,” Davis said. Property owner Joseph Morovits reportedly was at the scene of the fire, which took more than two hours to “expose and extinguish.”

According to Davis, volunteers with the local chapter of the Red Cross took care of the home’s occupants while firefighters searched for anyone inside. The Red Cross maintains a network of volunteers who respond to fires and other events that leave people homeless or without necessities, said Dale Smith, response director for the Red Cross’ Grand Junction office. He said victims of fire typically receive assistance with housing, personal-hygiene items and mental counseling.No other structures were threatened by the fire, and no one else had to be evacuated. The incident remains under investigation, and it has not been determined if the second blaze was a rekindling of the Sunday night chimney fire, according to Deputy Chief Smith.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User