Fire damages Rifle condo complex
Aspen, CO Colorado
RIFLE, Colo. – Fire forced the evacuation of an eight-unit Rifle condominium complex Thursday evening and left one resident homeless. No one was hurt.
The Rifle Fire Protection District was called to a structure fire at 216 S. Ninth St. shortly after 7 p.m. Evacuation of the two-story building began immediately.
Firefighters from Burning Mountains Fire Protection District and Glenwood Springs were summoned to assist, though Glenwood’s participation was called off while firefighters were en route.
The first Rifle engine company arrived at the scene within five minutes and quickly began working to extinguish the blaze from inside the burning building, according to Battalion Chief Kevin Alvey. The aggressive interior attack was key to containing the fire to one condo and saving the surrounding units, he said.
“The fire had flashed and self-vented through the first floor windows and doors, quickly spreading throughout the unit to the second floor and attic space, prior to our initial engine company making entry,” Alvey said in a press release.
The fire was contained to the condo where it started, causing an estimated $60,000 in damage to the structure and its contents. Firefighters believe food left unattended on the kitchen stove started the blaze.
Heavy smoke and fire damage left the condo where the fire began uninhabitable, according to fire officials. Residents of two adjoining condos were displaced for the night and placed in temporary housing with the assistance of the Red Cross. Other residents of the building were allowed to return to their units after the fire was out.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.