Few answers in Grand Junction double murder | AspenTimes.com

Few answers in Grand Junction double murder

The Associated Press
Aspen, CO Colorado

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. ” Two months after an Alaskan man opened fire on a residential street, killing two before taking his own life, police say they still have little idea what caused the man to kill the dentist and former teacher.

Dentist Terry Fine and his friend, Flo Gallagher, were packing up a car with their spouses for a road trip to Las Vegas on a Saturday morning when a fusillade of gunshots sprang from a man who drove up to the driveway.

Two months after the apparently random double murder, police have few answers about what set off the gunman, 22-year-old Stefan Alexander Martin-Urban. After killing Fine and Gallagher and wounding two others, Martin-Urban turned the gun on himself and died the next day.

“The Fine-Gallagher tragedy is one of the worst of my career,” Grand Junction Police Chief Bill Gardner told The Daily Sentinel newspaper. “That was the most tragic and difficult and dark crime in our city this year.”

Investigators have been combing the gunman’s computer and background for clues, but answers are few.

In an interview published Sunday, Mike Gallagher told the newspaper that he noticed the dark green SUV driven by Martin-Urban as he and his wife headed to the home of Terry and Linda Fine, with whom they were to travel to Nevada.

As the couples packed the car, Gallagher said, Martin-Urban pulled up and parked outside the driveway.

“I think that’s the guy who was in our cul-de-sac,” Gallagher remembered telling his wife.

“Yeah, that’s weird,” she replied ” the last thing Mike Gallagher remembers her saying.

Mike Gallagher said the gunman approached Terry Fine first, killing the dentist with four shots from his Ruger 9 mm semiautomatic pistol.

The gunman said nothing to anyone, Mike Gallagher remembered. He told the newspaper that after killing Terry Fine and Flo Gallagher, and shooting and injuring Linda Fine, the gunman raised his pistol to Mike Gallagher’s face ” but the shooter was out of ammunition.

As Martin-Urban reloaded, Mike Gallagher said, he jumped in the car and sped away with an injured Linda Fine in the backseat.

“That was the hardest thing of all of this, because I’m leaving my wife laying on the ground,” he said later. “But you know the other side of that is God told me to just keep your foot on the accelerator and just go, because I knew Linda was dying.”

Mike Gallagher raced to St. Mary’s Hospital, where Linda Fine was treated for multiple gunshot wounds.

Back at the house, neighbor Paco Larson stepped outside after hearing the gunshots. Martin-Urban shot him in the back, though Larson survived.

Martin-Urban shot himself in the head as police surrounded his Honda several minutes later. He died the next day. Police say that after investigating the 22-year-old for two months, they still haven’t pieced together why he was in Grand Junction that day or what may have caused his bloody rampage.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User