Explosion injures man in Breckenridge | AspenTimes.com

Explosion injures man in Breckenridge

Robert Allen
Summit County correspondent
Aspen, CO Colorado

BRECKENRIDGE, Colo. – One person was burned and taken to the hospital Monday in an explosion at a Breckenridge home where lacquer was being sprayed as a part of a remodeling project.

“Lacquer is highly flammable; we’re not sure how it ignited,” said Kim Scott, spokeswoman for Red, White and Blue Fire Protection District.

She said the room wasn’t ventilated, and the explosion didn’t appear to be intentional.

The incident occurred at 382 Timber Trail Road, the home that recently made headlines as the most expensive sale in Summit County history at $8.285 million.

At 6,565 square feet, the home was beyond the 6,000 square feet at which sprinklers are required. Scott said the damage could have been much worse if the room’s sprinkler hadn’t extinguished the fire.

A window was blown out, but there was otherwise minimal fire and water damage.


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User