Don’t take fumes lightly | AspenTimes.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Don’t take fumes lightly

Dear Editor:I had a strong negative reaction to the article on the fumes from epoxy paint at the Aspen Recreation Center. I am grateful that the children are no longer breathing in toxic fumes, though I question why the workers are wearing dust masks and not respirators? I feel the comments made by Ed Sadler, assistant city manager, are unfortunate. “The concentration of fumes in the youth center wasn’t toxic.” Based upon what testing? “Just because you can smell something doesn’t make it harmful. You can spray Lysol in the air, you can smell that, too. That doesn’t mean it will kill you.” (Aspen Times, Nov. 9).As a matter of fact many people no longer use Lysol as a disinfectant in their homes because of its toxicity. As reported by the Environmental Protection Agency, commercial aerosol disinfectants (like Lysol) usually contains phenol, 2-butoxy ethanol; formaldehyde (a potential human carcinogen); phenols; or quaternary ammonium compounds. Inhalation can strongly irritate the nose, throat, mucous membrane and lungs. It may cause liver and kidney, and/or reproductive disorders over a prolonged period of time. Overexposure may affect the central nervous systems, or even cause cancer.The above comments by Mr. Sadler speak to the lack of understanding of the dangerousness of chemical exposure and the denial that so many have regarding chemical pollution and its relationship to cancer and other disease. The body’s ability to handle toxicity is quite remarkable, but we are seeing its limitations with the rise in cancer rates. “According to the world-renowned Dr. Samuel Epstein, M.D., one of every 2.5 people now develop cancer. Why has the cancer rate increased from one in 8,000 in the year 1906 to 1 in 2.5 today?” (“Recipe for Living Without Disease” by Aajonus Vonderplanitz). I recommend that the city call Building for Health in Carbondale the next time a public building needs painting. BFH offers several lines of paint with very low VOC (volatile organic compounds). These paints off-gas much less than conventional paints and are made with natural plant based materials. Thirty years ago, the three major childhood illnesses were chickenpox, measles and mumps. Now it’s asthma, ADD and cancer. I have no doubt we are slowly poisoning ourselves. We are all connected – we breath the same air, drink the same water and eat food from the same Earth. For the sake of our children and the many generations to come, we must do what we can to support clean air, water and organic food. A healthy body is the foundation for a healthy mind, an open heart and an evolving spirit. Branden CohenLenadoLenado


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User