Determining cause of Denver crash could take up to a year |

Determining cause of Denver crash could take up to a year

Colleen Slevin
The Associated Press
Aspen, CO Colorado
Land gear sits near a service road along the path follows by a Continental Airlines jetliner on Monday, Dec. 22, 2008, in Denver. The jetliner veered off a runway while trying to take off from Denver International Airport in Denver late on Saturday, Dec. 20. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski, pool)
AP | AP Pool

DENVER ” Aviation experts say it could take up to a year to figure out what caused a Continental Airlines plane to veer off a runway and slide into a snowy field at Denver International Airport on Saturday.

So far, National Transportation Safety Board investigators said they haven’t found any problems with the Boeing 737-500’s engines, brakes or wheels, but they haven’t ruled anything out. They also haven’t released any information about the landing gear under the plane’s nose. That gear ended up under the plane, which landed on its belly in a frozen field about 2,000 feet from the runway. The wreckage probably won’t be removed until after Christmas.

Former NTSB chairman Jim Hall said the complex investigation will look at things including condition of the plane’s undercarriage, whether there were any strong shifts in the wind as the plane sped down the runway, and the positions of the controls. Hall said investigators are in a good position because both the data and voice recorders were intact, the crew will be able to answer questions, and the plane is relatively intact.

“The good news is, they appear to have all the information to come up with a cause for this tragedy,” he said.

The voice recorder picked up a bumping and rattling sound 41 seconds after the plane began speeding down the runway for takeoff. Four seconds later, one of the crew members said the takeoff should be aborted, and the data recorder shows the thrust reversers, used to stop the plane, were switched on. The recording ends six seconds later, presumably because the plane slammed down on the ground after hurtling off an embankment.

The first officer has also told investigators that the plane was pulling away from the center line as it reached about 103 mph before taking a sudden left turn off the runway.

Tire marks and debris show the plane slid across a grassy strip and a taxiway before going off the embankment, hitting the ground at its base. It then went up a slight hill, over an access road and then down another small hill before stopping.

All passengers and crew members escaped the plane, which caught fire on the right side. Thirty-eight people were injured, including the plane’s captain. Four people remained hospitalized Tuesday.

It was the first major crash of a commercial airliner in the United States since August 2006, according to the FAA. In that crash, 49 people were killed after a Comair jetliner mistakenly took off in pre-dawn darkness from Blue Grass Airport in Lexington, Ky., on a runway that was too short.

Former NTSB board member John Goglia said the rattling sound heard on the plane’s voice recorder could have been caused by a problem with the plane’s nose gear, which would have been easy to hear in the cockpit. He said the subsequent attempt to stop takeoff would also have put a lot of stress on the gear, exacerbating any existing damage.

“It’s going to put an additional load on the nose gear, which may have caused it to fail,” he said.

However, Goglia said a plane with damaged nose gear should still be able to continue down the runway rather than veer off. He said the chances of a very strong wind hitting at that exact moment and pushing it off seemed slim.

Former NTSB managing director Peter Goelz said he would expect investigators to focus on how far the plane was from the center of the runway when the sound was heard and how the controls, including the rudder, were positioned at the time.

The crew didn’t talk on the recording about any problem with wind, which former Department of Transportation inspector general Mary Schiavo said she would expect if a strong crosswind was a factor. Still, she expected investigators to get more detailed information about wind conditions for that particular runway to check out that possibility.

Schiavo pointed out that some things did go right Saturday night since all passengers and crew members walked away alive. She said there was little for the plane to crash into in Denver’s sprawling airport on the plains east of the city. Had the accident happened at a denser airport, including the city’s former Stapleton airport, she thinks there likely would have been deaths.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User