Dandelion education | AspenTimes.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Dandelion education

Dear Editor:First off, dandelions doing well in your yard or garden is a general sign of poor soil. If you are thinking of spraying your weeds or insects, just remember that about 1 percent of the herbicide/pesticide goes to the target and the other 99 percent goes elsewhere. You can do better than that. If you want to spray, just use kitchen strength vinegar in a direct spray-type bottle, with about two or three sprays over two or three days and that should do it.Better yet, do similar to what the town of Carbondale did to their parks to keep them organic and build up the soil and turf in the meanwhile. Start by pulling dandelions and weeds by hand by their roots with a root wand that also acts as an aerator of the soil. Then throw on top some soil builder and some compost and aerate the soil again. Meanwhile, you can also throw in a few handfuls of high mountain buffalo grass seed which works better at this altitude than Kentucky bluegrass.If you keep your lawn watered, fertilized, fed/nourished and composted, it should be hard to grow dandelions on.Don’t forget, the dandelion is considered by many ethnobotanists to be the most nutritious plant on the planet; the flower is the number one source of Vitamin A in the world and the younger, more tender inner leaves have a calcium/phosohorus ratio closer to that in human mother’s breast milk than any other green leafy vegetable. You can also get the B-complex from dandelions, iodine, chromium, fatty acids and lecithin to help emulsify your already existing fats and cholesterol.Doc PhilipCarbondale


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User