Man arrested for Snowmass bicycle theft, link to other thefts investigated
September 28, 2015
A man who was arrested for allegedly stealing a bicycle in Snowmass Village on Saturday is being investigated as the possible culprit in a rash of bike thefts there this summer, according to Snowmass Village Police Chief Brian Olson.
David Bowman, 54, was observed by an officer approaching a parked vehicle with a bike on the rack at about 3:30 a.m. Saturday, Olson said. The vehicle was parked in one of the numbered lots in the upper village. Bowman allegedly used a tool to cut the lock securing the bike, then he rode it down to his vehicle, according to Olson. He was arrested and his vehicle was impounded. The Police Department obtained a search warrant and is in the process of checking the vehicle. Bolt cutters were found Saturday, Olson said.
Bowman was arrested for theft and criminal mischief, both misdemeanors, and possessing burglary tools, a Class 5 felony. He was taken to Pitkin County Jail and was released after posting $2,500 bond.
Bowman's place of residence is unknown. He was recognized by officers as a former driver of a town shuttle, Olson said.
Snowmass Village started experiencing a rash of bike thefts in July.
"We think there are as many as 14 bike thefts associated with this individual," Olson said. A mix of expensive and cheap bikes were targeted, he said. Police were on alert Saturday because of the recent thefts.
Recommended Stories For You
"Officers were in the area at the time due to a number of recent bike thefts from vehicles," Olson said in a statement. "A majority of stolen bikes were secured to vehicles where that securing device was cut and the bikes stolen."
Trending In: Crime
- Vail employee allegedly slept with minor in Glenwood Springs
- Attorneys spar over evidence sharing in Lake Christine Fire case
- Habitual thief faces 11 felonies and five misdemeanor charges
- Man with notorious Aspen past invokes ‘sovereign’ defense
- Cuervo’s Vail Valley Sno-Cat caper getting clearer. Jason Cuervo admits stealing Sno-Cat and hauling it from the mountains to the desert
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche