COVID sidelines Nardi hearing about new sex assault trial for former Aspen bartender | AspenTimes.com
YOUR AD HERE »

COVID sidelines Nardi hearing about new sex assault trial for former Aspen bartender

The final day of hearings to determine if a former Aspen bartender convicted of sexual assault in 2014 deserves a new trial was postponed Tuesday for 10 days.

The Colorado Department of Corrections said Peter Nardi, 58, tested positive for COVID-19, and officials would not allow him to appear by video link for closing arguments that were expected in the case, said Nancy Holton, Nardi’s lawyer. Lawyers argued the motion asking for the new trial based on ineffective assistance of counsel Wednesday through Friday last week.

Nardi is being held at the Fremont Correctional Facility in Canon City, according to the DOC website.



District Judge Chris Seldin, who presided over Nardi’s hearing last week, noted that he and the lawyers on the case may have been exposed to the virus during the proceedings.

“I suppose the rest of us will be getting COVID tests in the near future,” he said.




A Pitkin County jury convicted Nardi of sexual assault, attempted second-degree assault and violation of bail bond conditions — all felonies — as well two misdemeanor counts of assault and false imprisonment. The conviction was based on an alleged attack on a former girlfriend that took place in April 2013.

Seldin rescheduled Nardi’s hearing for Jan. 28.

jauslander@aspentimes.com


Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.