Counterfeiter gets deferred judgment in Aspen case
ASPEN – A California man was given a two-year deferred judgment Monday for his role in a counterfeiting ring that stung a host of downtown Aspen businesses last year.
Francesco Anthony Saputo, 30, admitted to District Judge James Boyd that his passing of two phony $200 bills was a “terrible, terrible mistake.”
“I regret everything,” he said at his sentencing hearing, held in Pitkin County District Court.
Saputo is among three defendants in the counterfeit ring. In May, Andrew Allan McCollum was sentenced to four years in the Department of Corrections. McCollum had three prior felony convictions, while Saputo had none.
Saputo’s transport from San Diego to the Pitkin County jail last fall generated as many headlines as his counterfeit arrest.
His mother and sister arrived in Aspen on Oct. 10 to protest in front of the Pitkin County Courthouse about Saputo’s alleged treatment. When Saputo was advised of the counterfeiting charges against him, he complained about the treatment as well.
In other court news:
• An arraignment hearing has been set Aug. 2 for Warren Carter, 45, who allegedly fled the Pitkin County Courthouse on July 19 after he was sentenced to three years in the Department of Corrections for stealing copper wire from an Aspen construction site.
Carter waived advisement of felony escape charges and habitual offender charges. Carter, who had five previous felony convictions before he allegedly bolted out of the courthouse, faces up to 51 years in prison with the new charges.
• David Foley pleaded guilty to possession of ecstasy and will be sentenced Aug. 2. While a condition of his sentencing includes that he not use illegal drugs, Foley’s public defender, Stephen McCrohan, said that Foley is on the state’s medical marijuana registry. Judge Boyd will address the matter at next month’s sentencing hearing.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Just in time for Halloween, the Pitkin County Board of Health voted 4-2 to reduce the size of informal gatherings from 10 to five for at least the next two weeks starting Friday. According to the public health director, officials are currently investigating 11 outbreaks in Pitkin County.