Colorado lawmakers take up bill requiring CO detectors |

Colorado lawmakers take up bill requiring CO detectors

Steven K. Paulson
The Associated Press
Aspen, CO Colorado

DENVER ” Saying it could save an average nine lives a year in Colorado, emergency responders urged lawmakers on Monday to pass a law requiring carbon monoxide detectors in new homes and rental properties when new tenants move in.

The law was introduced after four members of a Denver family were found dead Nov. 28 in an Aspen-area home with high levels of carbon monoxide.

The measure (House Bill 1091) was scheduled for debate Tuesday in the House Business Affairs Committee.

A similar bill was killed last year because of questions about who would enforce it and whether homebuilders and apartment owners could be held responsible if the equipment failed.

Support Local Journalism

This year, lawmakers decided to leave it to local governments to enforce it. Homebuilders and apartment owners wouldn’t be responsible if the equipment malfunctioned.

Parker Lofgren, 39, a founding partner of investment bank St. Charles Capital, his wife Caroline, 42, and their two children, Owen, 10, and Sophie, 8 were found dead at a home outside Aspen over the Thanksgiving weekend. Friends meeting the family found them.

The Lofgrens won a weekend stay at the house in a church auction. The property is on the market for $8.5 million.

Technicians found that a combination of errors in the home’s mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems led to extreme levels of carbon monoxide in the house.

Investigators said a faulty boiler vent damaged during a windstorm may have led to the high levels of carbon monoxide that left a college student dead earlier this month.

Authorities said Lauren Johnson, 23, died after being taken from a third-floor unit at a Denver apartment complex. She was a first-year graduate student at the University of Denver.

The Centers for Disease Control estimates that about 500 people are killed each year in the United States because of carbon monoxide poisoning. It can be caused by a malfunctioning furnace, water heater or stove, or by objects blocking a flue.

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User