Climber survives for 6 days in remote Utah canyon |

Climber survives for 6 days in remote Utah canyon

Sheila V Kumar
The Associated Press
Aspen, CO Colorado
** CORRECTS SITUATION TO THE ACTUAL RESCUE ** In this March 12, 2011 image provided by the Wayne County, Utah, Sheriff's Department, a Search and Rescue Team helicopter descends to rescue 57-year-old David Cicotello at No Man's Canyon in southeastern Utah. According to rescuers, Louis Cicotello of Colorado Springs, 70, fell to his death from a ledge in No Man's Canyon while rapelling with his brother, David Cicotello, on March 6. David Cicotello was stranded on the ledge for six days before being rescued. (AP Photo/Wayne County Sheriff's Department)
AP | Wayne County Sheriff’s Departmen

NO MAN’S CANYON, Utah – No matter what, David Cicotello knew he had to survive.

Cicotello, 57, was stranded on a ledge in No Man’s Canyon, in the rugged wilderness some 180 miles southeast of Salt Lake City. His climbing partner – 70-year-old brother Louis – lay motionless on the ground 100 feet below, having fallen while rappelling.

Cicotello made a “HELP” sign with some climbing equipment. And then he waited.

Over the next 146 hours – six days – he sipped water, nibbled an orange, a sandwich and a few cashews until rescuers arrived. Cicotello survived, but his brother did not.

David Cicotello’s ordeal is a rare survival tale from the state’s unforgiving canyon lands.

Sometimes, travelers have to take extreme measures to survive. In 2003, then-Aspen resident Aron Ralston was exploring a slot canyon alone in Canyonlands National Park when his right arm was pinned beneath a boulder. He amputated the arm, fearing he would die there if he didn’t get free. His story became the subject of the movie “127 Hours.”

“If you come down in this area, you better be prepared. It takes hours for search and rescue members to get there,” said Tal Ehlers, a member of the rescue team that found the Cicotellos on March 12.

David Cicotello, an admissions official at Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro, Tenn., spoke to friends about the Utah trip and approved a written account. They shared it with The Associated Press. The family declined further comment.

According to the account, the brothers had explored canyons together for several years. On March 5, they set out on a six-day trip. David gave his fiancee a map of their planned camps.

He was supposed to call her Thursday evening, March 10.

By the second day, the brothers were in the North Fork of No Man’s Canyon. They rappelled 40 feet to the ledge in a crevice. There was 100 feet to go to the canyon bottom. The plan: Eat lunch after rappelling down, then walk an old horse trail back to the rim.

Louis set an anchor and fed rope through a rappel ring. And then went over the ledge. Moments later, the rope whipped through the ring and disappeared. David called out to his brother; there was no reply.

He tried to reach his brother, but couldn’t. He soon realized that he would have to stay on the ledge until Friday, a day after the brothers were to check in with family.

In his pack: A liter bottle of iced tea, a small bottle of water, an orange, a sandwich, a high energy bar, some cashews, some matches, a flashlight, a knife, a pair of wool socks and a jacket.

He had left his cell phone in his truck, knowing it wouldn’t work inside the canyon.

David allowed himself some water or tea and a few bites of food each day. To keep warm at night, he attached the wool socks to his baseball cap and lit small fires along the side of the ledge. Ehlers said the temperature sat in the 30s at night.

He passed the hours keeping vigil over his brother. Animals and birds drank from a pool at the foot of the slot canyon. A bat flew out each night from above.

Rescuers began their search on March 11, after relatives reported the brothers missing.

He was down to one slice of orange, a few cashews and an ounce of water. The sandwich and tea had turned rancid. He held on to that last ounce of water, telling himself he wouldn’t drink it until he heard a rescuer call his name.

He didn’t want to look at an empty water bottle.

David Cicotello was airlifted to a hospital in Moab, where he was treated for dehydration and minor injuries. Louis Cicotello’s body was recovered an hour after the rescue.

A memorial service for Louis Cicotello, a professor emeritus at the University of Colorado in Colorado Springs, Colo., was planned for Saturday in Colorado Springs.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User


See more