Dear Editor:It seems some Amendment 35 supporters have buyer’s remorse. Shelley Molz (Aspen Times, Feb. 8) gives four reasons why people voted for Amendment 35: to fund local prevention programs, protect from second-hand smoke, educate children about the risks of smoking and help smokers quit. If Shelley had read the text of the amendment, she would have realized that only 16 percent of the expected tax revenues would actually go toward funding these worthy causes. Of the remaining 84 percent, 68 percent is spent on issues not related to smoking and 16 percent is spent to prevent, detect and treat diseases that may be related to smoking.The text of the amendment doesn’t say how the 16 percent Shelley cares about is divided, nor where. It could go for school, community or statewide education programs. Believing any significant money would come back to local tobacco prevention programs was naive. The amendment never promised that; only the advocates of the amendment promised that. So what do you do when you get what you voted for but it is not what you wanted? Blame the Republican governor because his “plan doesn’t say anything about funding local programs.” Here is what Gov. Owens said: “The majority earmarked for cessation in Amendment 35 should be targeted to children to prevent them from becoming users of tobacco and helping those who are using tobacco quit.” How dare that evil Republican.Shelley, do not blame the governor. Instead, you should blame the advocates of this amendment who lied to you about how and where the money would be spent, or better yet, blame yourself for not understanding the amendment before you supported it.Terry OstromSilt
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Lift-Up has helped feed hungry families in the Roaring Fork Valley for 38 years, but experienced in a surge in demand this year because of the coronavirus pandemic. It is making changes to meet the demand and address allegations of incidents of discrimination.