Blue Lake family snuffs grass fire |

Blue Lake family snuffs grass fire

Aspen Times Staff Report
Aspen, CO Colorado

EL JEBEL ” Quick action by a family in Blue Lake likely prevented a grass fire from consuming a vacant house in the midvalley subdivision Friday afternoon, according to Basalt Fire Chief Scott Thompson.

The grass fire was started when a cigarette was discarded near a bus stop along JW Drive, Thompson said. The fire burned a narrow path along a bike path, then traveled beneath a fence to the dry backyard of a vacant house, he said. “It completely consumed the backyard.”

Firefighters were called to Beaver Lane at about 2:30 p.m., but a man and two girls extinguished the blaze with at least one garden hose before the fire engine arrived, Thompson said. The names of the heroes weren’t available. Thompson said the girls appeared to be young teens. He credited the trio’s action with saving the day.

Thompson said it didn’t appear that the backyard of the vacant house had been watered for some time, making it susceptible to the fire.


See more

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User