Basalt wildfire narrowly misses homes |

Basalt wildfire narrowly misses homes

Janet Urquhart
The Aspen Times
Aspen, CO Colorado
Jim Paussa/Paussa.comHomes in the Basalt Ridge subdivision were briefly threatened Tuesday afternoon by a fast-moving brush fire that broke out above Sopris Drive. Firefighters from Basalt, Aspen and Carbondale were called to the blaze at about 2:20 p.m. and authorities called for residents to evacuate much of the Hill District neighborhood, but the scare was short-lived. The fire was completely contained by 3:39 p.m.

BASALT – More than 50 area firefighters scrambled to battle a wildfire on Basalt Mountain Tuesday afternoon, stopping the blaze within 10 feet of one home.

There were no injuries and no structures were damaged in the fire, though it prompted a quick call for the evacuation of several streets in Basalt, including Midland Avenue, its main downtown thoroughfare.

“We started an evacuation process that turned out not being needed,” said Jerry Peetz, Basalt deputy fire chief.

Firefighters from Basalt, Carbondale and Aspen, plus a crew of three from the Upper Colorado River Interagency Fire Management Unit responded after a Basalt firefighter spotted the blaze at about 2:20 p.m. from the fire station in town. A flood of 911 calls from the public quickly followed.

The first firefighters were on the scene in about 10 minutes; they found roughly two acres of dry grass and pinon burning, Peetz said.

“The fire was moving directly toward two houses. In fact, the fire wound up coming within 10 feet of one house,” he said.

“We got lucky,” he added later.

Evacuation orders commenced through reverse-911 calls in the hillside subdivision north of town, on the lower slopes of the mountain, as well as on Midland, but firefighters quickly knocked down the flames, Peetz said.

“By the time they started to do it (the evacuation calls), we canceled it because we had the fire pretty well knocked down,” he said.

An Upper Colorado River Interagency helicopter was used to keep tabs on the blaze from above, but no water was dropped from the air, according to Peetz.

The fire was declared contained at 3:39 p.m. and crews finished extinguishing hot spots at about 5 p.m., he said.

The cause of the blaze remains under investigation, but firefighters have ruled out a lightning strike, Peetz said.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.