Aspen History: An ‘Unusual Structure’
“Unusual New Structure goes up in Aspen,” noted the Aspen Times on March 7, 1957. “One of the most unusual structures on the Western Slope, a building-within-a-building is going up in Aspen. To be completed by early summer, the Gallun building, located between Mario’s and Aspen Drug, will house offices, shops and a restaurant on its three floors. Owned by Albert Gallun of Milwaukee and Aspen and designed by Fritz Benedict, the ell-shaped building opens onto a landscaped terrace below street level. Open balcony walks and stairways face into the terrace, and provide access to the various units. Of glass, brick and wood, the building is contemporary in concept but has been designed to meld with the dominantly Victorian architecture around it. The existing façade of Victorian posts and panels which extends from the West side of the new building across the front of the drug store, also owned by Gallun, will be preserved and restored to tie the new and old buildings into a cohesive whole.” The image above shows the Gallun Building on the corner of Galena Street and E. Hyman Avenue in the early 1960s.