Aspen cop blotter: Chair tossing an eye opener for man
August 28, 2009
ASPEN – An Aspen man pleaded guilty Wednesday to the charge of injuring public property after he threw a lawn chair through the front entrance of a salon and knocked over a moped.
Paul Vallejos, 40, told Aspen Municipal Court Judge Brooke Peterson that “I’m embarrassed by my actions.” The incident happened at approximately 1:40 a.m. Aug. 4.
Vallejos showed the judge a receipt for the window that he replaced at Salon Tullio, located on East Main Street. Vallejos added he had been drinking that night and was upset that he missed his bus. He also said he is seeking help for his self-admitted alcohol abuse problem.
The judge gave Vallejos a one-year deferred judgment, meaning if he doesn’t commit a crime in the next year, the crime will not go on his record. Peterson also ordered him to pay a $150 probation fee.
“Let’s make sure this is an isolated incident we don’t have to deal with again,” Peterson told Vallejos.
In other municipal court news:
Recommended Stories For You
• Homar Denis-Hernandez, 31, of Carbondale pleaded guilty to shoplifting from City Market on Aug. 1. According to city prosecutor James True, Denis-Hernandez swiped one package of NyQuil, one package of DayQuil and an Oakland Raiders hat.
Peterson gave him a one-year deferred judgment and ordered him to pay a probation fee of $150.
“If he’s back for any other crimes he may find himself in jail,” the judge said.
• Urinating in public cost Michael Ziemer, 30, of Snowmass, $150.
Peterson also gave him one-year deferred judgment. True said police spotted Ziemer peeing next to a tree in downtown Aspen at approximately 1:40 a.m. July 28.
“I sincerely apologize to the city,” Ziemer said. “I wasn’t thinking clearly.”
Said Peterson: “Hopefully we won’t see you under the circumstances again.”
Ziemer replied: “I guarantee you we won’t.”
Meanwhile, here’s a recap of Aspen police activity during the week of Aug. 20-27.
• Aug. 21, 6:30 p.m. – Keith Ames, 41, of Aspen was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence, failure to drive in a single lane and disobeying lane usage signs.
• Aug. 21, 12:59 a.m. – Zachary Grissom, 28, of Aspen was arrested on suspicion of third-degree assault and domestic violence.
• Aug. 22, 11:47 p.m. – Makena Shellman, 24, of Boulder was issued a summons for shoplifting from Carl’s Pharmacy.
• Aug. 23, 2:36 a.m. – James Cryer, 26, of Snowmass was pulled over for an alleged traffic violation. On further investigation he was arrested for DUI, DUI per se, vehicle use violation, possession of less than 1 ounce of marijuana, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
• Aug. 23, 4 p.m. – William Bostick, 56, was issued a summons for shoplifting from City Market.
• Aug. 24, 3 p.m. – Tyler Palardy, 22, of Aspen; Jessica Rivera, 19, of Basalt; and Gabriel Rivera, 18, of Basalt were cited for theft from The Sunglass Hut.