After celebrity suicides, calls to Colorado crisis hotline spiked
Colorado Crisis Services sees 60 percent increase in call volume
The Denver Post
- Colorado Crisis Services is a free, 24-hour organization that helps with mental health, substance abuse or emotional help. Confidential services are available at 1-844-493-8255 or text “TALK” to 38255 to speak to a trained professional. Reach them online at coloradocrisisservices.org.
- Aspen Hope Center provides a free, 24-hour confidential Hopeline for anyone who needs help or is in a crisis. Reach the crisis line at 970-925-5858.
- Mind Springs Health has its own 24/7 crisis service line at 888-207-4004.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline has a 24/7 support line available by calling 1-800-273-8255
Colorado Crisis Services experienced a 60 percent increase in call volume over normal levels between Friday night and noon Sunday, said Nourie Boraie, a spokeswoman for the Colorado Department of Human Services. Most of those additional calls came through the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, which routes all calls from a Colorado area code to the statewide line.
To Andrew Romanoff, the president and CEO of Mental Health Colorado, the outpouring of need shows the importance of prevention services along with the necessity of making sure everyone knows about resources available to help during a mental health crisis.
“That’s one of the reasons we are forced to respond to these crises because we didn’t do enough to prevent them,” he said.
Romanoff listed off some of the ways people can connect with help when they or a loved one are in danger:
- Colorado Crisis Services’s 24-hour help line: 1-844-493-8255
- The center’s text line, reachable by texting “TALK” to 38255
- Walk-in centers around the state
- Self-assessment screenings available on Mental Health Colorado’s website.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User