A day to remember
June 14, 2012
Our Memorial Day ceremony this year was better than ever. The saying “it takes a village” is so very apparent when one takes a look at those individuals who made it all come together. I will list those involved and take this opportunity to thank them for their efforts.
• Aspen streets department for the flags on Main Street – they looked beautiful in the early-morning sun.
• The Pitkin County crew for the wonderful-looking veterans memorial site.
• The Aspen Police Department’s community safety officers for the traffic control on Main Street – it makes a huge difference.
• Father Brice for his lovely words of comfort and understanding and the reading of “In Flanders Field.” Very touching.
Recommended Stories For You
• A somber moment with Darryl Grob and Fred Crowley on the “Roll Call of the Fallen,” remembering Aspen men killed in action.
• We are blessed to have Richard Sundeen and Jeannie Walla. Lovely!
• To those individuals who spoke and shared their heartfelt stories with us, what special and treasured memories. Those veterans are not forgotten!
• Aspen Elks Lodge No. 224 – you guys and gals outdid yourselves once again. Wow!
My thanks to the “village” for this special day. You are what Aspen is all about and what makes this such a special place.
Also, I placed American flags in the Red Butte and Ute cemeteries for Memorial Day. If I have missed any markers, please call me and let me know so I can place flags on those locations next Memorial Day.