1A needs your support
October 10, 2011
I would like to join with others in thanking the Helping From The Heart organization for educating voters on ballot question 1A to renew and slightly increase Pitkin County’s Healthy Community Fund.
As Helping From The Heart has emphasized, the property tax supports meaningful community work, such as:
• protective and supportive services for children;
• senior services, including activities to promote independence and quality of life;
• holistic support for the care of cancer patients, terminally ill and their families;
Recommended Stories For You
• support for survivors of domestic violence;
• provision of services to transition homeless individuals to stability and self-reliance;
• mental health and substance-abuse counseling;
• assistance for developmentally disabled citizens;
• services to low-income clients.
The Pitkin County Healthy Community Fund was passed in 2002 and renewed in 2006. More than 61 programs are involved in helping numerous deserving residents receive grants from the fund. Maintaining the fund is particularly needed during this period of economic downturn.
Warren Klug, Kurt Bresnitz and Sue Smedstad should be especially thanked for co-chairing this very important public effort.
I also encourage all voters to vote yes on ballot question 1A.
Paul J. Taddune