Aspen History: Polo Arrives in Woody Creek |

Aspen History: Polo Arrives in Woody Creek

Aspen Historical Society
One b/w film negative of a polo game at St. Finnbar Farm at Woody Creek, 1960 (the area is also known as the Flying Dog Ranch and the Collins Creek area). As the Aspen Daily Times noted, "Legitimate polo returned to the Roaring Fork Valley last Sunday after an absence of over 60 years when two teams of local riders met on the turf of St. Finnbarr Farm at Woody Creek. Although local players have frequently played broom polo and palametto polo with rubber balls, this was the first known game using standard sticks and balls since Aspen's boom days."

“Still another form of recreation blossomed in the area this summer when informal polo competition began at the St. Finnbarr Farm at Woody Creek,” declared The Aspen Times on Aug. 19, 1960. “Sixteen players and an estimated 50 spectators witnessed this second game since the re-birth of modern Aspen at the Lenado road arena Sunday, Aug. 7. Participants included visitors, Aspen residents and several ranchers down the valley. A non-profit organization has been established (the Roaring Fork Polo Association), plans made for refurbishing the playing ground and preparations started for additional activity.” This image shows one of the participants in the polo game at St. Finnbarr Farm at Woody Creek, 1960

This photo and more can be found in the Aspen Historical Society archives at

Aspen Times Weekly

This week in Aspen history

“Without any exception the worst snow storm known since the advent of the railroad west of Leadville has been raging over the crest of the continental divide since last Thursday,” asserted the Aspen Tribune on January 31, 1899.

See more