From the Vault: When Marble came alive
“New town of Marble attracts attention,” announced an article in the Aspen Daily Times on Dec. 10, 1908. The article continued, in part, “The prosperous and enterprising little town of Marble still continues to attract attention. From a camp of 200 people a few years ago our next-door neighbor has grown to a town of 1,000 souls, and still continues to advance. Dwelling houses are being built in great number, stores of various kinds have been well stocked and are thriving from the liberal trade of the prosperous citizens and in all there is a general air of prosperity about the town. Many former Aspenites who are now residents there are reminded of the days of long ago when Aspen was getting out of the infant class. Thirty-five houses are now under construction and will be ready for occupancy soon. They will be rented to families at the rate of $1 a room per month. A sure and never-failing indication that Marble will grow in size and importance in this part of the state is the fact that a newspaper will soon be issued daily there. The newspaper office will be equipped with a linotype and presses and will in all details be an up-to-date newspaper plant. The plant will be built and conducted by a woman, who will also be the editor. At the mill there is a scene of great activity, in keeping with the general life of the place. Three hundred men polish, cut and crate the finished product for shipment. The throbs of the electric air channelers used in cutting the marble blocks can be heard in all parts of the huge building and everywhere everybody appears busy as bees.” The photograph above shows a group of women lined up on horseback on a street in Marble, circa 1915.
This photo and more can be found in the Aspen Historical Society archives at aspenhistory.org.