Aspen History: Aspen’s Catholic School
“The Benedictine sisters of Chicago have undertaken the guidance of St. Mary’s school,” announced the Aspen Daily Leader on Aug. 21, 1892. “(The school) will open September 5, and will be pleased to enroll upon their lists as large a number as possible of the best children of Aspen. The sisters in charge have long conducted academies and other schools in the large cities of the East, where they have received every assurance of having carried on the work of education with entire satisfaction to all who have entrusted children to their care. They have no doubt of receiving the same cordial welcome from the people of Aspen, as they have received heretofore in all places. The course of instruction will embrace all the requisites of a thorough and accomplished education, and will comprise the English branches in general, bookkeeping, stenography type-writing, music, vocal and instrumental, drawing, calisthenics, needlework, plain sewing, mending, etc., etc. Catechism will be taught to the Catholic children for half an hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays, during which time the others are to study their respective lessons.” This image shows St. Mary Catholic Church (left), Rectory (far right), and school (the smaller wooden building in the center), circa 1900.