Aspen History: Offseason Begins

Aspen Historical Society
One postcard with a b/w photograph of the Hotel Jerome, 1950-. There are several cars parked out front.

“Jerome closes April 15 until summer season,” announced the Aspen Times on April 12, 1951. “With the end of the winter season in Aspen, the Hotel Jerome, Roaring Fork Dormitory, Prince Albert and Hotel guest houses will close for renovating until the summer season in June, according to Charles O. Bishop, manager. Adequate housing accommodations are still available in Aspen in the spring season through independent housing and Aspen Company properties, the Four Plex Apartments and the Four Seasons Club guest accommodations. The Four Seasons Club, under new management of Mr. and Mrs. Nino Hirsig, will be open this spring featuring Saturday dancing and special square dances to liven the spring season when only Aspen residents remain. The world’s longest chair lift, according to Bishop, is scheduled to cease operation April 15th, but in case snow conditions are still good, the lift will continue running for late spring skiers. The Hotel swimming pool, popular in winter, will also be closed until the summer season.” This image shows the Hotel Jerome, circa 1950.

Aspen Times Weekly

WineInk: The 2023 vintage

“2023 predicted to be the Vintage of a Lifetime in Napa Valley,” proclaimed the headline this week in a press release sent out by the Napa Valley Vintners, the trade organization that represents the growers and producers in America’s most famed wine region. If there is anyone more optimistic than winemakers, it is the group that represents them.

See more