Theatre Aspen open summer with ‘Ragtime’
November 6, 2017
The Tony Award-winning musical "Ragtime" will open the 2018 summer season at Theatre Aspen, the company announced Monday.
The summer season will be Theatre Aspen's first under the leadership of recently named producing director Jed Bernstein. "Ragtime" will be directed by award-winning Theatre Aspen regular Mark Martino.
Based on the bestselling novel by E.L. Doctorow, "Ragtime" tells the story of interscting lives in three distinct groups of Americans in the earliest part of the 20th century. With a book by Terrence McNally, lyrics by Lynn Ahrens and music by Stephen Flaherty, "Ragtime" premiered in Toronto in 1996 and opened on Broadway in 1998. The musical was critically lauded, winning four Tony Awards, including Best Book and Best Original Score. It featured career-making performances by both Brian Stokes Mitchell and Audra McDonald.
"With a fantastic score, 'Ragtime' reminds us that we all have own stories to tell — no matter where we come from — and that only together, do we represent what the 'Great American Experiment' is all about," Bernstein said in the announcement.
Theatre Aspen is expected to announce the rest of its summer 2018 season in coming weeks. Passes and tickets will be available for purchase early in 2018.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Hunter S. Thompson: Anti-fascist
- Leftover Salmon, Marc Maron, Wynonna Judd coming to Wheeler Opera House this winter
- Artwork by Hank Willis Thomas to be featured on Aspen lift tickets this ski season
- Now a ‘weekend warrior’ musician, Boulder-based Vienna Teng headlines Wheeler Opera House on Saturday
- Aspen Community Theatre stages a ‘Big River’ for our tumultuous times
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director