Theatre Aspen open summer with ‘Ragtime’
November 6, 2017
The Tony Award-winning musical "Ragtime" will open the 2018 summer season at Theatre Aspen, the company announced Monday.
The summer season will be Theatre Aspen's first under the leadership of recently named producing director Jed Bernstein. "Ragtime" will be directed by award-winning Theatre Aspen regular Mark Martino.
Based on the bestselling novel by E.L. Doctorow, "Ragtime" tells the story of interscting lives in three distinct groups of Americans in the earliest part of the 20th century. With a book by Terrence McNally, lyrics by Lynn Ahrens and music by Stephen Flaherty, "Ragtime" premiered in Toronto in 1996 and opened on Broadway in 1998. The musical was critically lauded, winning four Tony Awards, including Best Book and Best Original Score. It featured career-making performances by both Brian Stokes Mitchell and Audra McDonald.
"With a fantastic score, 'Ragtime' reminds us that we all have own stories to tell — no matter where we come from — and that only together, do we represent what the 'Great American Experiment' is all about," Bernstein said in the announcement.
Theatre Aspen is expected to announce the rest of its summer 2018 season in coming weeks. Passes and tickets will be available for purchase early in 2018.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Birding for ‘Cheaters’ at the Aspen Art Museum
- Jon Busch, Aspen gay icon and champion of cinema, inducted in the Hall of Fame
- ’Impractical Jokers’ star Sal Vulcano goes solo at the Wheeler Opera House
- Michal Menert comes home to Colorado for Belly Up Aspen show with The Pretty Fantastics
- Art Base hosts interactive Trace Nichols exhibit
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday