The Art Base names interim director, co-presents new Aspen show
September 20, 2018
Skye Skinner, the former head of Compass and the Aspen Community School, will serve as interim executive director of the Art Base in Basalt through early next year.
Skinner is stepping in while executive director Genna Moe is out on maternity leave.
Skinner will run the nonprofit arts center and serve as a liaison between Moe and her staff through early January. She spent 22 years at the helm of Compass, the local nonprofit that operates the Aspen and Carbondale Community Schools. Her tenure included leading a $10 million capital campaign and building the new campus of the Community School in Woody Creek.
"I love building relationships and having direct, authentic interactions with people — the key to successful fundraising," Skinner said in an announcement.
The Art Base also recently announced a collaboration with the Skye Gallery in Aspen (run by gallerist Skye Weinglass, not Skinner). Titled "Pink Highlights," the group exhibition is an exploration of gender roles and the color pink — themed to coincide with National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
"Pink Highlights" will open Friday, Sept. 28, with a reception running 5 to 7 p.m. The show runs through Nov. 18.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Aspen Chapel Gallery going to the dogs
- Chris Collins, Jim Salestrom and the 2018 John Denver Celebration in Aspen
- Carbondale artist Jonathan VanTassel opens Art Base exhibition
- What’s next for Hunter S. Thompson’s Owl Farm?
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’