Oscar nominees, foreign films and classics at Library Cinema Series in February
February 1, 2018
Jon Busch's Pitkin County Library Cinema Series will run for 13 nights over four weekends in February with a mix of art house and foreign titles, classics and all of this year's Oscar-nominated short films.
The winter series, now in its second season, will feature the acclaimed Telluride Film Festival selection "The Other Side of Hope," a wry comedy about the Syrian refugee crisis by Finnish director Aki Kaurismaki. It runs Friday through Sunday.
Busch will host what he's dubbed "A Bogie Weekend" Feb. 9 to Feb. 11, showcasing three Humphrey Bogart classics on the big screen: "The Maltese Falcon," "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and "Casablanca." As has become Library Cinema tradition, they'll be preceded by vintage Warner Bros. cartoons.
Over Presidents' Day weekend, the series will host four screenings of the Academy Award nominees in the three short-form categories. The Live Action shorts screen Friday, animated shorts on Saturday, and the documentary category is split into two parts on Sunday and Monday nights (running 110 minutes Sunday and 90 Monday).
Tickets are $15 for the shorts program, $10 for others, and includes popcorn. All shows begin at 7:30 p.m.
The Oscar screenings continue Feb. 23 to Feb. 25 with "The Insult," a French feature about a legal battle between a Lebanese Christian and a Palestinian refugee. It is nominated for Best Foreign Language Film.
Recommended Stories For You
Busch has been presenting films in Aspen for 46 years in various forums and expects to run this season's Library Cinema screenings into March.
"My mission has always been to expand and contribute to the cultural diversity of Aspen, and to bring what makes Aspen unique among ski resorts," he said last year. "I always felt an art film program is something that fits."
Trending In: Entertainment
- ’Impractical Jokers’ star Sal Vulcano goes solo at the Wheeler Opera House
- Birding for ‘Cheaters’ at the Aspen Art Museum
- Michal Menert comes home to Colorado for Belly Up Aspen show with The Pretty Fantastics
- Art Base hosts interactive Trace Nichols exhibit
- Documentary ‘The Quiet Force’ puts ski town immigrant communities in spotlight
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche