‘Hairspray’ leads Theatre Aspen 2017 season
November 22, 2016
The musical "Hairspray" will be Theatre Aspen's main stage show for summer 2017, the company announced Tuesday.
Based on the 1988 John Waters film about an early-1960s TV dance program and racial integration, "Hairspray" won the 2003 Tony Award for Best Musical. It ran for more than seven years on Broadway and was adapted into a 2007 feature film. A live television production will air on NBC on Dec. 7.
The summer season also will feature the steamy, smart play "Sex with Strangers" by Laura Eason and a kid-friendly production, "The World According to Snoopy."
Theatre Aspen regular Mark Martino will direct "Hairspray" while Christy Montour-Larson will direct "Sex with Strangers." On "The World According to Snoopy," Kaitlin Hopkins will direct and Adam Cates will choreograph. More details on casting will be announced in coming months. All three productions will run at the Hurst Theatre in Rio Grande Park.
The upcoming season follows a 2016 that broke ticket sales records for the company, on the strength of a popular "Mamma Mia!" production, and saw Theatre Aspen winning eight Henry Awards from the Colorado Theatre Guild for its 2015 season — making it the most honored theater in the state.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Business Monday: Clock ticks for Aspen retailers on 420 E. Hyman