Basalt launches Wednesday night art and concert series
Art and music will merge for a new event in Basalt this summer.
The town will host Basalt Summers ArtsBeat in Lions Park every Wednesday night starting today through Aug. 12. There will be live musical performances by local and regional groups as well as arts projects coordinated by the Wyly Art Center.
The free concerts start at 6 p.m., rain or shine.
The bands will take the stage west of the Wyly Art Center. Spectators can sit in the lawn. All of this year’s events will be at Lions Park rather than alternate with Triangle Park in Willits, which was scheduled for reconstruction. No alcohol will be sold at the concerts. Coolers will be allowed. Attendees can pack their own picnic or buy a box dinner from participating restaurants.
Here’s the summer lineup:
• The Bo Hale Treatment, a classic rock band, will kick off the shows today.
• Crowlin Ferlies, a Celtic bluegrass band, will take the stage July 15.
• The Starletts, featuring Motown and soul, provide the music July 22.
• Alt-Americana group The Drunken Hearts will play July 29.
• The Afro-Cuban jazz, bossa nova and Latin jazz of the Latin Jazz Express will take off Aug. 5.
• The series will end with the Colorado bluegrass of Trout Steak Revival on Aug. 12.
Veteran music booker Marc Breslin is the event producer. The sponsors are the town of Basalt, Wyly Art Center, Basalt Chamber of Commerce, Basalt Downtown Business Association and Alpine Bank.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.