Aspen T.R.E.E. seeks volunteers for community meal
November 12, 2015
Aspen T.R.E.E. will host its annual Community Meal at Hotel Jerome this year and is looking for volunteers for the free farm-to-table dinner.
Aspen T.R.E.E. (Together Regenerating the Environment through Education) is holding the eighth annual Community Meal, sponsored by the Ditto Dreman Memorial Fund, at the Jerome on Nov. 24 from 5 to 8 p.m. Everyone is welcome.
The organic, locally sourced meal, served family style by volunteers, showcases the bounty of the region. About 80 percent of the entire menu comes from food producers located between Aspen and Silt, with the remaining 20 percent coming from the North Fork Valley. Eighty-five percent of the greens and herbs in this year's meal were grown on the Aspen T.R.E.E. FarmPark at Cozy Point — a 50 percent increase from last year. The only non-local items in the meal are salt, pepper, and olive oil.
Besides demonstrating the promise of eating local, the Community Meal also offers an opportunity to come together before the busy winter season and enjoy a good meal along with each other's company. The event also includes children's activities, live music, a silent auction and ways to learn more about Aspen T.R.E.E.'s sustainable food-shed efforts.
"I believe that happiness comes from connection, whether that's connection with other people, to the land or our food and where it comes from," Aspen T.R.E.E. Executive Director Eden Vardy said in a statement. "When we feel connected, we care."
The Community Meal typically draws hundreds of people throughout the evening. Much help is needed to prep, greet and serve. Volunteer shifts are available beginning Nov. 19 through the night of the meal. Email aspentree email@example.com to find out more and commit to a shift.
Recommended Stories For You
To sponsor the event or for any other questions, contact Vardy at 970-379-2323 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Activities & Events
- Aspen Words director Adrienne Brodeur to publish memoir
- Popular Aspen sushi restaurant Kenichi coming to Carbondale
- Book review: ‘Fully Body Burden: Growing Up in the Nuclear Shadow of Rocky Flats,’ by Kristen Iverson
- Food & Wine Classic: New Aspen restaurants open in flurry of offseason activity
- Jazz Aspen Labor Day: Duran Duran’s John Taylor, still ‘Hungry’
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Pay hike helps Aspen Skiing Co. fill entry-level positions
- What’s the Big Deal: Red Mountain property fetches $14.675 million
- Aspen superintendent supporters urge board to not placate parents
- Business Monday: Tomcich has no reservations about career change